Saturday, November 27, 2010

Finally got job in Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) in Dallas

Yes I have finally got an odd job in Kentucky Fried Chicken yesterday and I would like to explain how it happened.

As I said, in USA you need to apply on line for most of the jobs. So I applied for Team Member position in KFC located in Richardson area. In USA doing application is not enough, you need to chase the manager or office to know the status of your application. So I talked to manager and he said to meet him together with Green Card, Driving License and Social Security Card so as to proof that I am a permanent resident of USA. Normally, reputed companies will not hire an illegal residents in their offices, probably, from the  legal point of view, they can not higher any illegal (I need to double check this information)

In USA, without driving license employers normally do not offer job as the staff may not attend job on time. So a valid driving license is one of the pre-requisites to get a job.

So I went to KFC store together with those papers yesterday. As soon as I entered the KFC shop, the existing staffs offered me some foods and drinks but I declined to take with a smile. Then manager came and shook hands with me with a smile. He said, you are welcome here and I am preparing all the papers for you so that you can join our team. Thank you for joining our KFC team.

After a while he prepared all the papers and called some one using his cell phone. Over telephone I gave a short interview. Manager said, you are hired. Then he said, you got to do few things in my store such as, dealing with the customers when they come to buy foods and you need to clean the glass windows of the shop. Are you ok with all these? I am fine with it, I said with a smile.

Then he said, you need to wear special types of KFC staff dress while you are on duty. You need to wear black cap, black shirt, black trouser and black shoes. What is your size, sir? I said, I use extra large as I am  big and fat. Normally they call "Sir" or "Madam" to their customers or candidates.

Then the manager said, we will be supplying you the cap and shirt for you (embedded with KFC logo) but you need to manage black trousers and shoes by your own but make sure the shoe must be non-slippery. I said, why are u asking for non-slippery one? He said, if you are required to clean the floor, the non-slippery shoes will help you to stay firm.

Now I need black trousers.

Mother gifted you few black trousers last time while you were in Malaysia so you do not need to buy, Komol reminded me today while I was driving car in the morning. That is good information so I declined to visit Walmart to buy it. But I need the non-slippery shoes. KFC manager advised me to buy it from Walmart as the price  would be cheaper there, around USD 10.

Afterwards he asked me, Sayed, can u join on coming Wednesday? I said, I am ready to do that. Then manager smiled and said, ok then we will be meeting you soon. Thank you sir for helping our team to run this KFC shop.

The manager and existing staffs really behaved me nicely. Hope so rest of the days will be good too. But the problem will raise with Maria as I bring her to school and take back home daily. So I need to schedule with some one to get the work done. May be I will hire some one to do that job as school is very important although I had never been serious of going to school while I was a school boy.  I used to walk miles after miles in the streets of Dhaka in the broad day light without any specific purpose. But the truth is, I learned most of the things from street walking.

This is my first job in USA and I am very excited. I do not know how much will be paid per hour. It is an hourly job and can be resigned any time. Good news is, the shop is just 12 minutes drive from my apartment in Dallas.

Next year 2011, US economy may revive slightly as US Central Bank is going to inject USD 600 billion in the economy over the next 8 months to increase money supply, so interest rates will go down further. As soon as, interest rates go down, may enhance spending and investment. The growth rate is expected to be 3 percent in the whole 2011, is not enough to combat 9 percent unemployment. USA requires at least 4 percent growth rate to curb current unemployment problem.

President Barak Obama and Prof David Bernanke of US Central Bank have taken all possible fiscal and monetary measures but things are not working. So we need to look into economy from other angles to get rid of current sluggishness. Traditional Keyenesian and Moneterist schools or measures appear to be not working.

3 comments:

Anita said...

Congratulations! I am really happy for you mama! It will be a very good experience for your future romantic/adventure stories... I know you'll look cute in the KFC uniform...red and black, rite? You enjoy cleaning and you are good at it...as I've witnessed firsthand :)
Restuarants are a bit tough though...I hope you can cope with the rush. Maria can get her favourite rice and soup frm KFC. I knw family here is a bit skeptical abt it, but no job is great or small, and I knw you knw that which is why I love you so much. I am always proud of you no matter what you do...Good Luck! And have fun! PS. Like your diary :)

Anita said...

Congratulations! I am really happy for you mama! It will be a very good experience for your future romantic/adventure stories... I know you'll look cute in the KFC uniform...red and black, rite? You enjoy cleaning and you are good at it...as I've witnessed firsthand :)
Restuarants are a bit tough though...I hope you can cope with the rush. Maria can get her favourite rice and soup frm KFC. I knw family here is a bit skeptical abt it, but no job is great or small, and I knw you knw that which is why I love you so much. I am always proud of you no matter what you do...Good Luck! And have fun! PS. Like your diary :)

Sayed Hossain said...

Thanks Tania for your comments. I love you too. When are u coming to USA? Has the date been set?