Monday, October 11, 2010

Job hunting at Sears

Sears is a chain shop where you can find all the household goods. I went there yesterday (which is located at Plano Road in Richardson) in search of a job. Manager told me they have a cashier position and asked me to apply. She brought me to a computer and asked me to apply on line.

I did accordingly but I had to answer 90 questions related to management and customer dealing. I did not give importance as I thought these these are only formalities. I just answered and declined to answer 20 of them out of 90..

Finally I submitted the online form and went to Manager again. She opened my file and said "Sorry, you could not pass the exam". I said "I did not appear any exam". She said, yes, you did as you had to answer 90 questions, Is it not? Then she told me, the whole system will be blocked for you for another 90 days as you have failed. So after 90 days, the system will reopen again and you can appear in exam. I am keeping your CV with me.

So I came out from the office. So the lesson is whenever we do something, we should not simply underestimate it. We should do it seriously. Thanks to Manager as she was polite and gentle.

The position as cashier in Sears is simply a odd job for me as it does not matches with my education and experiences. But it does not mean that it will lower my status in the society or people will look down upon me. Indeed, job is job and we should respect all types of jobs and profession as long as it is legal and not harmful for the society. For instance, Jesus Christ was a carpenter only but almost one third of the world population follow him.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You have learned the lesson in hard way...the good thing is, now you know what a positive attitude is, what I have been telling you from Day 1 of your Yankee life....

Anonymous said...

Thanks Musa for your comments. I see you are always supporting me. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Thanks Musa